Saturday, January 12, 2013

Stories from Namibia I

They say the jackal is a very cunning animal...

One day the jackal and the hyena were sitting by the fire. While they were resting, the jackal said:
- Hear me, Hyena! Let's kill our mothers and eat them.
The hyena went home and killed his mother. The jackal, however, led his mother farther away in a cave, took an old animal skin and showed it to the hyena as a sign of his mother's death. As the two animals were eating the hyena's mother by the fire, the jackal burst into laughter.
- Why are you laughing, Jackal? Asked the hyena.
- Well, I was just thinking of how we both killed our mothers.
Days went by. The Jackal sneaked out every day to where  his mother was and brought her food. The hyena saw him going back and forth daily and he began to wonder: "What is the Jackal doing every day? Why is he going again and again to that cave with food"? So, he decided to follow the Jackal only to find himself  struck with great surprise when he saw the jackal's mother alive. He killed her and went back by the fire. When the Jackal returned to the hidden cave he found his mother dead  and cried bitterly. As he also arrived back to the fire, the hyena asked:
- Why are you crying, Jackal?
- I am not crying. My eyes are teary because of all this smoke! Said the Jackal.

This is the end of the first story as I have written it down after meeting Nicholas, the Treesleeper.

PS. Today I tried to remember this story as I was chatting with some of my colleagues. My memory slightly failed me when I named the animals in the story. It was a hyena not a lion...

Regards,

M

No comments: